Disapproved Java programs
The Java programs suitable for open JDK appear not all to work equally well with Java for eComStation. Below a list of programs that did not work well in the test phase. Not working is as much as not responding to the mouse (programmed for SUN Java and not for Open JDK) to total lockup of the system. I test with Java version 1.6.0ga1 (first version), Java version 1.6.0.ga5 (last version) and Java versie 1.4.2_05 (InnoTek OS/2 Kit for Java).
- = updated August, 2016
- Frinika, music workstation/sequencer, not responding properly, can not recognize sound sources in OS/2 and further it looks like its working.
- Subsonic, web-based media streamer and jukebox, internal problems, unclear, help desk call is still not answered.
- Sonogram, acoustic spectrum analyzer, no 3D (problem of our implementation of open JDK), further the package hangs, reboot is usually necessary, generates often hs_err_pidXXX.log.
- Laoe, digital recorder, works, but with playing distortion through overdrive, recording does not work because it is not included in Odin.
- HDTVTestPattern, shows a full screen image, after that nothing works anymore because the system in graphical mode and recognizes no mouse or keyboard, is a bug in our implementation of Open JDK, bug is reported.
- MagicLantern, slideshow program, does not respond well on mouse or keyboard, is programmed for SUN Java, bugs are the incompatibility between Sun Java and Open JDK.
- Jpo, kind of photo sorter/slideshow. Works well, but a strong pot of coffee will not hurt if you really have many pictures in lots of folders. So very slow.
- Fir4j, quickly resizes JPG images, add watermarks or generate web pages. Just not as OS independent as they think. Old project.
- JavaPoint, attempt to make a Powerpoint in Java, does not respond well, still very limited.
- MindRaider, a personal notebook and outliner. Does not respond, generates a hs_err_pidXXX.log and a question in the forum (10/19/2012 8:14:24 PDT) is still not answered. Got an answer on 12/28/2013 with the text "I discontinued the work on MindRaider" and "The changed the project license to Apache 2 sometime ago. Thus anybody can take over and continue without any restrictions.". There is a new version 15.0, it doesn't start because one file in the lib directory is updated with a higher version of Java. This file and the run file are the only ones which are updated. The result is a crash with the message "Unsupported major.minor version 51.0".
- ProjectLibre 1.5.6-1.6.1, open source replacement for Microsoft Project, unstable in Java versions 1.6.0ga1 and 1.6.0ga5. Produces regular hs_err_pidXXX.logs, sometimes with lockups of the desktop. Version 1.6.1 needs also a higher version of Java 1.6.
- Makagiga, kind of PIM, latest version demands Java 7 or 1.7 and is not downwards compatible. If interest in version makagiga-3.8.14 then mail me or drop a note in the OS2-World forum. Ticket raised on http://svn.netlabs.org/java, see ticket #198.
- Java Outline, outliner, there isn't any progress for over more than 9 years.
- Smartgit, graphical client for the version control systems Git and Mercurial, programmed for SUN Java and not for OpenJDK, so incompatability problems.
- Weather, program which shows weather information. Version 4.4 won't even install, doesn't recognize our version of Java. I got this: java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError: weather/Weather : Unsupported major.minor version 51.0 as a headline in my bugtracker file. Conform Java-apps site it should run with Java 6. There is no other information, help is only given through Facebook, no thank you.
- LanguageTool, a proof-reading tool for many languages. Installed version 2.2 is the last version which can work with Java 6. Later versions needs Java 7. Unfortunately it doesn't work with OpenJDK and I get "Unknown OS/arch: os/2/x86" in my bugs file.
- blueMarine, blueMarine is a Java(TM) based digital photo editing application. It can load, show, edit, organize photos and is able to generate web galleries. There isn't any progress for more than 2 years. The page "http://www.tidalwave.it" doesn't work anymore. I can't get the program working within Java, tried different setups, all fail. Because the given addresses don't work I give up on this one.
- Joeffice, Joeffice is an open source office suite that includes word processor, spreadsheet, presentation and database. It needs Java 7.0. Its unclear how the program starts in Java. The Linux version is a real puzzle. The MAC version does have an installer jar-file, but on my system it halts when the installer test the free space on the harddrive. Even with more than enough space the program signals its too short for further progress and installation halts due to the greyed out "next" button.
- Home Bookkeeping, this is a bookkeeping program for households. It won't work with Java 6. There is no indication what version is needed, probably Java 7 or even higher version.
- Freemind, a free and open source software to support thinking, sharing information and getting things done at work, at school and at home. The core of the software consists of functions for mapping of thoughts, mind mapping or concept mapping, and tools for the use of mapped information. Version 1.1.0 (still Beta) needs probably Java 7 or even higher.
- jBrickBuilder, is a Java based virtual building with LEGO bricks. Full 3D view and editing for models and sub-models. It doesn't run on OS/2-eCS, see the error: Caused by: java.lang.RuntimeException: Please port OS detection to your platform (os/2/null). I'm trying to dump the bug somewhere, now waiting for password.
- Timecult, a simple yet powerful task management and time tracking application. Supports a hierarchy of projects and tasks, multiple taks timers, data export to a comma-separated file, detailed time log, dynamically computed summaries of used time per each project. Won't run due this problem: Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/eclipse/swt/graphics/Device.
- JSound, best level of equalization sound, convert your audio format, listen web radio and record, show music representation with spectrum, VU or wave. Ripper your favorite CD to any formats. Set equalization in played music, apply effects and filters. Feel the difference and change your experience to listen music. But, no glue how to install. At some point it hangs, no clear errors, looks like it is spyware! I removed everything and did a virus check.
- LARS, (Lightning Assessment of Risk for a Structure). LARS is a simple tool for the lightning assessment of risk for a structure, according to standard IEC 62305-2, second edition. Needs Java 7 to run, but this is not documented.
- TV-Browser, gets the daily TV program from the internet and shows it clearly aranged - like a printed TV guide. It is compiled with Java 7 and due to poor programming it runs on Java 6 until you reach some points. After that Java exit hard.
- MarsColonial, Explore the red planet and helps to establish a colony. Beware of Von-Neumann sondes that have landed on Mars and also seek to seize their resources. Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsupportedOperationException: The specified platform: os/2 is not supported.
- Java Frittle Chess, Cross-Platform Java Chess game. Based on Frittle engine, the engine works, seems that the visual graphic layer doesn't pass on the moves, so nothing happen.
- Java Open Chess, Java Open Chess is a project written in Java in NetBeans IDE. There is possibility to play for 2 players on local computers and via network connection. Message bugtracker: Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError: jchess/JChessApp : Unsupported major.minor version 51.0, ie you need a higher Java version.
- Stendhal, is a fun friendly and free multiplayer online adventure game. Won't work because it can't find the browser; games.stendhal.client.gui.BareBonesBrowserLaunch.openURL(BareBonesBrowserLaunch.java:81). Furthermore, with start you get the message that you need Java 7, but nothing about that in the bugtracker.
- Panda, Personal Assistant for Notes, Dates and Addresses Panda is a tool for managing your notes, dates and addresses. Enter notes as simple text, keep addresses as plain fields and manage a time table as well as an elementary calendar. The program works, but it has problems with our codetables: [Fatal Error] :1:53: Invalid encoding name "850". This results in an error when the program starts and reads previous saved data.
- Free Mars, FreeMars is a turn based strategy game about colonizing Mars. It is compiled with Java 7.
- RTextDox, RTextDoc is an editor for structured text documents (LaTeX, AsciiDoc, DocBook). It is compiled with Java 7.
- JDosBox, jDosbox is an open source pure Java x86 emulator based on Dosbox. The initial goal of this project was to run all DOS games as well as Dosbox. They say "still a work in progress". That's true, the Psion simulator won't run, its going terrible slow to get the background color grey and that's it. This is not the case with DosBox, which is also available for OS/2-eCS. In this emulator the Psion emulator runs like it is a real Psion with about the same speed.
- RepairsLab, this system allows to manage the entry and exit of equipment repair in a small workshop for repairs or service center. Problem is too much oriented to Windows, can't load look and feel. Game over, no information how to work around or switching to an other look and feel.
- Violet UML Editor, is a UML editor with these benefits: Very easy to learn and use. Draws nice-looking diagrams. Completely free. Cross-platform. Violet is intended for developers, students, teachers, and authors who need to produce simple UML diagrams quickly. It does start, nice layout etc. But at an certain point it gets slow. Mouse seems not working all the time, you can click forever on something. Help doesn't work. Bugs are not fixed.
- ArduBlock, Visual Programming Environment for Arduino. The version of early 2013 is working, but far behind of the real thing from today. The last programming environment does start up slow. Some parts are written in Java 7, so you end up with a not fully working program. Help and getting to the site is as usual not working.
- SportsTracker, SportsTracker is an application for people who want to record their sporting activities. Lots of errors, more memory didn't do the trick. Its compiled for the other Java and the incompatibilities are too big for working with OpenJDK (sportstracker-bugs is bigger than 85kB!)
- Turtle Sport,Turtle Sport is a software developed to communicate with GPS devices. Turtle Sport retrieves your training sessions from your Garmin and it makes diagram and statistic reports. It is compiled for the other Java and the problems are with the user interface. I got "Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" java.lang.NullPointerException" in the bugfile. The program isn't that big or uses many files, but also recompiling isn't an option because it is build with Eclipse.
- LaTeXDraw, is a graphical drawing editor for LaTeX. It is compiled for the other Java and the problems are with the user interface. My bugfiles stays empty but recompiling isn't an option because it is build with Eclipse.
- DocFetcher, is an Open Source desktop search application. DocFetcher is not pure Java. It runs on the Java runtime, but also uses a couple of non-Java libraries that are tied to specific operating systems. There are no plans to support more operating systems besides the three major ones. So this one is not for us.
- Reuters widget, displays the latest Reuters headlines. Needs a higher level of Java.
- RSS Owl RSS/RDF/Atom Feed Reader RSS Owl is a powerful application to organize, search and read your news feeds in a comfortable way. It runs on the Java runtime, but also uses a couple of non-Java libraries that are tied to specific operating systems. Recompiling isn't an option because it is build with Eclipse. So this one is not for us.
- Data Crow allows you use the standard movie & video (divx, xvid, DVD, Blu-ray, etc), book (and eBooks), images, games & software, music (mp3 and other music files) cataloging modules. After moving the site to an other location the available version for Java 6 is Data Crow version 3.12.5. This version won't work in our OpenJDK, the program doesn't see the keyboard or the mouse. So you can't move around or try something. The only version which does work is Data Crow version 4.0.1, see my webpage.
- dsBudget dsBudget is a personal financial management / budgeting application. It can't find the browser and the solution with "-Dbrowser.cmd" and "-Dbrowser.arg0" doesn't work too. Resulting in that the program won't start. Beyond that, lots of errors on the forum and no fixes.
revision August 9, 2016